Tuesday, November 22, 2011

New mom, need some reassuring advice.?

I have a 2 month old baby boy, our first child. I have had him sleeping in the bassinet portion of his pack-n-play, I know its about time for the crib now because he is growing so much. He sleeps fine in his crib, I have been putting him there for naps and what not, but I freak out at the thought of him not being right beside me at night? Is this horrible, all the talk about SIDS and everything has my nerves going crazy. My husband says it will be ok and it will be more comfortable for him in his crib. When did you put your baby in their own crib away from your bed? Please help....Also did you keep a night light on so you could see them in the crib all night or did you leave it dark?New mom, need some reassuring advice.?
Why can't he sleep in your bed if he's too big for the bassinet? Or why can't the crib be right beside your bed?





';Human children are designed to be sleeping with their parents. The sense of touch is the most important sense to primates, along with sight. Young primates are carried on their mother's body and sleep with her for years after birth, often until well after weaning. The expected pattern is for mother and child to sleep together, and for child to be able to nurse whenever they want during the night. Normal, healthy, breastfed and co-sleeping children do not sleep ';through the night'; (say 7-9 hours at a stretch) until they are 3-4 years old, and no longer need night nursing. I repeat -- this is NORMAL and HEALTHY. Dr. James McKenna's research on co-sleeping clearly shows the dangers of solitary sleeping in young infants, who slip into abnormal patterns of very deep sleep from which it is very difficult for them to rouse themselves when they experience an episode of apnea (stop breathing). When co-sleeping, the mother is monitoring the baby's sleep and breathing patterns, even though she herself is asleep. When the baby has an episode of apnea, she rouses the baby by her movements and touch. This is thought to be the primary mechanism by which co-sleeping protects children from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. In other words, many cases of SIDS in solitary sleeping children are thought to be due to them having learned to sleep for long stretches at a time at a very early age, so they find themselves in these deep troughs of sleep, then they may experience an episode of apnea, and no one is there to notice or rouse them from it, so they just never start breathing again. Co-sleeping also allows a mother to monitor the baby's temperature during the night, to be there if they spit up and start to choke, and just to provide the normal, safe environment that the baby/child has been designed to expect.';





http://kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthroug鈥?/a>


New mom, need some reassuring advice.?
O it is so hard, I know. I am a mommy to a ten week old baby boy and he just started sleeping in his crib a week ago. I, as well, had him in the bassinett portion of the pack n play. He loces his crib so much more. He has no problems sleeping through the night and what not. Sure every mother worries about SIDS. I think if we didn't there would be something to worry about. It will be ok, I promise. Just make sure that everything that is needed to be in the crib is there and things that are not needed keep them out. The only thing besides a blanket in my sons crib is his teddy bear. His teddy bear stays on the opposite side of the crib where his feet are and he cannot reach it. The only reason it is in there is because he loves to stare at it before he goes to bed. Put a bumper on the crib and if you want to lay your baby on his/her side get a baby positioner. They are relatively cheep and your baby will not roll over and accidentally suffocate. Everything will be fine. Here is a link for a baby positioner so you know what I am talking about! Good Luck.








http://www.target.com/Boppy-Sleep-Positi鈥?/a>
I went through EXACTLY the same thing. It's scary! I bought an Angel Care Bebe Sounds Monitor. You can buy them on WalMart.com. That was the cheapest place I found for them. It comes with a motion sensor that you put under the crib mattress. It will blast an alarm if it senses no movement for 30 seconds (breaths are movements, it's really sensitive), so this monitor really helped me get sleep! I did leave a night light on as well. You, and your baby are gonna be fine. I know it's hard and scary, though! My nurse told me to keep an eye on the paranoia though, because it could be a sign of postpartum depression, so make sure you talk to someone if it gets overwhelming. Good luck, and everyone's going to be fine!
My son was always in his crib BUT I did have a nightlight in the room and the baby monitor was right next to the crib at his head so I could hear every little sound.. just make sure the crib is clear of things like blankets and stuffies
dnt put him in the bed btwn u! i slp on my own n let him slp near me cos i dnt go into a deep sleep (i literally hear him breathe in my slp), though ur husband dsnt hav the same feeling (in general) and he could roll on him, sry im not accusing him so dnt wry. my son used to slp in the moses basket but it got so hot for him n i finally got his crib.. im tryin to get him used to it n he slps well, i just place the crib next to my bed for now (cos i was constantly wakin up to hear his breathin--i got used to it) -- im paranoid too, hu isnt wrd bout their baby! start putting the crib near u n then when he gets slightly older start moving him further (for ur sake cos it wont make such a difference for him in his slp). my son loves snuggling up, he even puts his arm on me n if i get out of the bed he notices n starts cryin until i snuggle up close! (cute but tiring!)


i use my mobile as a night light when i wna c him so i get him used to slping in the dark. i only use a night light when i change his nappy during the night so i dnt put the main light on just in case it wakes him up completely.


gud luck n dnt wry, there's no rule that states u cant put ur crib near ur bed.. do watevr makes u feel comfortable! x


o ye, my son slps on his side n i let him slp however he wnts to.. imagine some giant coming during the night n turning you over..
Re: '; I freak out at the thought of him not being right beside me at night?';





So _keep_ him right beside you at night. Quite simple, it seems.





What is *confusing* is all this business about monitors that beep and whirl and count breaths, farts and whatnot. Why the hell would a ';mother'; want to sleep with said gadgetry instead of a warm, delicious baby?





Do any of you allow your husbands in bed, or are their snorts, burps and turns monitored from another room as well?
You are worrying as all mothers do - everyone goes through this! I think I moved my two into their own cots at about 2 months and they were both fine. I had a baby alarm next to them and the other bit next to me and everything was fine.





Just move your baby if you want to or don't if you don't. It's up to you!
I think what you are feeling is completely normal! I went through the same exact thing with my daughter who is now about 10 months. She slept in our bed on occasion when she was a newborn and in a bassinet next to our bed for months. When she outgrew that she slept in a pack and play in our room. With her getting up so often to eat or with teething issues, it was pointless to put her in the other room. She now comfortably sleeps in her own room and I think we are both ok with that. I say that do what you are comfortable with because you are the mommy. When it is time for a change you will know.
I live in Australia so the standards of sleeping and SID prevention is different. My little girl is 9 weeks and sleeps in her bassinet wrapped up in a cotton blanket with a blanket over the top with her feet right at the end of the bassinet (this will be the same when she moves up to her cot, feet right at the end) Maybe google SIDS prevention and it will give you tips... all the information helps! I keep a night light on as its easier so i dont trip at night. I NEVER put my daughter to sleep on her side or back unless im watching her the WHOLE time. Hope this helps
  • origins
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment