Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Help me- I got a new job, dont know if can handle it... need advice :(

so here is the story





I got hired at a great restaurant as a server... without having any serving experience or any restaurant experience!





I was hired in midjuly and recieved training shifts. But now, it is almost the middle of August and college starts in september. I have a crazy packed busy schedule in school. School is soooooooooooooo important to me. . . I don't know how I can tell my manager that I cannot work more than once a week. He believed in me, he basically hired me on the spot. He has got me trained... and now I am about to tell him that my availiblity has gone done the drain. I feel bad... but he knew I was a conscientious student from the get go.





I dont know how to bring this up. I dont know what to say. I dont know how to say what I have to say without sounding rude and ungrateful.


I seriously know I cannot handle more than once a week. I don't know how to tell him!





Can anyone help me? I really feel like crap- no one understands. Help me- I got a new job, dont know if can handle it... need advice :(
I understand, trust me. Right now I am serving 4 to 5 days a week because its summer. But once the semester starts, I will be taking 6 classes and will hardly have time to work.





But dont worry! Unless you got a job at a 5 star restaurant, Im guessing you have more than enough servers to cover for you and are willing to pick up shifts. It wont be hard for your manager to get your shifts covered, they know that if they hire mostly college students than they are going to need more cover during the school year.





Once the semester gets going and you get a feel for your workload, than you can pick up shifts or work a little more. Until than, just relax and make sure to give your manager some notice on when your new availability will kick in. He or she will understand. School comes first!Help me- I got a new job, dont know if can handle it... need advice :(
Just tell him upfront that you can only work one day. Be nice about it and tell him you appreciate him giving you the job but explain how you feel about school. Surely he can understand how school is more important to you? If he is a reasonable person? That's your future (your education) not being a server in some restaurant the rest of your life.





I'm sure he will understand.
Let him know how grateful you are for him hiring you. Just be truthful he'll understand. Its better than just quitting and not telling them anything. He also knew you were a student and should know that school is about to start. So I don't think he will be mad or anything so just tell him......sooner or later u are.

No comments:

Post a Comment