Wednesday, July 28, 2010

HELP. Need Advice about my new budgie!!!?

I got a young fancy budgie yesterday and ever since he or she got here it has been like hyper ventilating, pumping fast, opening mouth with the movement. He or she relaxed during the evening but started again. I am new at learning their temperament but it's beginning to worry me. He or she has a very big cage and everything they need to feel right at home, beautiful environment. I talked and try to socialize as well as keeping my distance for he or she to get adjusted until his or her friend join after the weekend of Thanksgiving. What should I do???HELP. Need Advice about my new budgie!!!?
I had the same exact problem with my cockatiel! It's mouth would open and shut like it was panting and it would do this more after flying around. I took it to a special bird vet and she wasn't too sure what the cause was. You'll be happy to know that my bird stopped doing this after getting more used to its new home. I left him alone and didn't handle him or talk to him for a week, I just worked around him so he would get used to my presence. I got 2 more birds eventually and this seemed to make him happier . I would try not to worry to much about this. I would continue keeping your distance but not try to socialize with it just yet. You might consider getting another budgie to keep it company, this might alleviate its anxiety. However, if it makes the situation worse, keep it in a nearby cage until its more adapted. I would not see a vet, there isn't much they can do. Again, try not to worry too much about this. My opinion is that it is just anxiety. You know how a dog pants when its stressed? You might want to try covering it at night so it doesn't get spooked (they can't see well in the dark at all). Good luck! I know you think your poor birdie is going to have a heart attack like I did but I think it'll stop this after a week or so.HELP. Need Advice about my new budgie!!!?
What you describe is not unusual for a new budgie. She sounds like she is stressing, which many do when first taken to a new home, with new people, etc. If you just give her some space, make sure no one else in the family is doing anything to scare her (i.e. sticking their fingers through the bars of the cage, etc), and slowly and quietly start trying to make friends with her after a few days have passed, she should begin to settle down.





It's important to remember that when a bird is ';trapped'; in a cage, anything new is VERY scary to them. She has to learn that you are going to love her and take good care of her, she doesn't automatically know that when she first comes home to join your family.





Good luck!
I would cover him / she with the night cover, leaving just - maybe a foot wide - opening. The whole thing may have been too much.
well sometime it takes time to get accustomed to their new home talk to him softly let him know that ypu will not harm him sooner or later he will stop with the nonsense also if you offer it some treats he will start to gain some confiddence
Try putting a bath towel over the cage. The darkness should calm the budgie. If this carries on u should consult ur vet.
i would take the bird to the vet cause birds can die just like that.Some times when they do that they are having troulbe breathing. but im not sure its hard to say without seeing the bird. but i would take it to a bird vet to be on the safe side.
If you just got ';it'; it is afraid. When you first bring one home, you should put them in a quiet room for a few days until they get the feel of the house. It is relaxed in the evening, probably 'cos it is darker and they are more relaxed in the dark. Don't put another bird in with it until it is completely relaxed with the house and you. Then introduce them by putting the cages next to each other. You have to be patient with birds, they are quite nervous. good luck
Sounds like heart arethmia. common in pet store bought birds. give it some time.......make sure room is quiet. no loud noises, tv....music......ect.......and just let it get used to cage and environment.......if not better in a few days,,,,,,,call the pet store or call where you got it.
a budgie takes a minimum of six months to feel at home. so it is going to take along time for it to calm down especially if it is alone (meaning without another budgie). however it should only take about a week for it to stop acting like that. i have 4 and they all did that when i bought them
You should cover the cage for atleast 24 hours. Let them get used to the common noises in your home. When you approach their cage, do it slowly. Don't be sticking your hand in their cage to touch them right away either. Put your hand in the cage for a few seconds every so often- eventually the bird will think it's normal and pay even use it as a perch. It'll will take some time though (like weeks). My birds recognize that my hand means food and water. They don't fly around and go nuts anymore when I stick my hand in the cage to change their food.





If you're wanting another one (the friend joining them after Thanksgiving remark), I would wait until this one is used to you and your home. I got one in 2003 and I didn't get her a friend until this past spring.





If it helps, you can do what I did. I trained both my birds to be calm around me by turning them loose in the bathroom (closed off room with no fans, windows, or other animals). I would just sit there and let them wear themselves out from flying. Once they were good and tired, I'd gently pick them up and pet them softly. Also, you can put food in your hand and see if the bird will eat from it.





Also, when the bird is mature enough, you can tell male from femal by their cere (piece above the nose with their nostrils). If it turns blue or purple (or a mix), it's a male. If it is tan or brown, it's a female. Good luck!





I've got pictures of my parakeets on my 360 page.





Also, depending on the doors to this cage, you may need to use clothes pins to keep them shut. My bird figured out how to open all her doors (nice surprise when I got home form work). They're very smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment