Thursday, July 29, 2010

My ADHD had been worse than ever since becoming a new mother. Any advice?

I was diagnosed when I was 13, and now at 29 it's only gotten worse since becoming a new mother. I spoke with a doctor that said maybe Zoloft was my answer. I think it may have helped a TINY bit, but I am so fustrated with my condition. I just want to be the best mother possible to my daughter.





A lot of people are saying ';It's because you're a new mom.'; But I had it my whole life and I know that it's gotten worse. It's not something that just goes away.





If anyone else has been in this situation, what worked for you? Thanks.My ADHD had been worse than ever since becoming a new mother. Any advice?
Zoloft? That won't do a thing, coffee - uppers like Ritalin, not Zoloft. Doc's confusing postpartum depression with ADHD.





For me? I have ADHD, hyperactive and otherwise - it mostly interferes with my interactions with people, I react too quickly and often over the top and don't read social cues well. I just stay away from people when I know it will be stressful, like when there are a lot of people, and concentrate on the baby - ignore what doesn't matter. Lists help, including writing a time frame with ';eat breakfast'; ';shower';, sounds stupid but it helps me. Lists, lots of external lists that you look at and will see frequently. Really, no antidepressant has helped me with ADHD, coffee helps, as does routine and lists - the best has always been meds but of course since I nurse I did not use my meds and have been off them for 5 years plus now.My ADHD had been worse than ever since becoming a new mother. Any advice?
being a parent makes you more scatterbrained than ever. if you're thinking about medication, zoloft wouldn't really be a good option... and if you're not wanting an amphetamine type (like ritalin or adderal) try out wellbutrin. that's the one that helped me. I'm 29 and was going back to school after a time away and had a lot of trouble focussing.


personally, i don't like the amphetamine-type meds... they can increase anxiety and such... though they have the beneficial side effect of weight loss... haha.
I don't have ADHD, but hormone shifts and vitamin deficiency will make me feel like i do. I would really suggest getting on some good B vitamins - or just continue taking your prenatal vitamins to help you stay focused as much as possible.
are you fit to be a good mother if your ADHD is getting worse? If you cannot absolutely answer that question Yes, you need to get intervening help.
Move from task to task, don't stay on one thing, it helps. Calm music helps. Hang with a friend from church that will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment