Thursday, August 19, 2010

Any advice or tips on learning new vocabulary words? (see below)?

I was just wondering if anyone had some tips on learning new words. I already have a list of words I want to learn, I just need some tips on how to learn them and make them stick. I know that everyone learns differently, that's why I wanted different ideas to see which tips fit my learning style the best.





I already know the very obvious tips, like that I should look them up in a dictionary, try to make up sentenses with those words in them, and make flash cards. What else can I do? I am looking for unique, original ideas please. Thanks!Any advice or tips on learning new vocabulary words? (see below)?
honestly, i think flash cards are the best method.Any advice or tips on learning new vocabulary words? (see below)?
I make a sentence out of the first letter of every word on the list. That way it jogs my memory to remember each word. For example, if my list of words were Orange, Tomato, Carriage, Rampage, Softball, and Frigid, I would use the first letter in each word to make a sentence like ';Only Tina Can Run So Fast';. That way I remember each word on the list, and by having the first letter, it jogs my memory as to the rest of the word.
Well, my English teacher was big on vocab. and she had us learn the roots, prefixes, and suffixes. If you know some, you would be able to figure out a word you've never heard before, for example:


if you knew pachy means thick, derm means skin, you would be able to figure out a pachyderm is something with thick skin (actually an animal with thick skin like an elephant or rhino). Hope this works for you and good luck with your quest!!!lol :D
  • highlight
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment