Monday, August 23, 2010

I was let go from my last job, advice on how to explain this to new employers?

I was recently let go from the job I was working at. My manager sat me down and told me basically that she liked me as a person, and that I was very responsible and efficient in most aspects of the job, but that my energy/personality simply wasn't right. This was a sales job that required us to be very outgoing and bubbly, and my manager didn't think that I was meeting the expectations of this particular role.





My question is how to go about explaining this to future employers. Should I eliminate this job from my resume to avoid questions about it (but then how to explain the gap in employment history?), or should I try to explain the situation? I feel like telling a future employer that I wasn't meeting job expectations won't exactly inspire them to hire me.I was let go from my last job, advice on how to explain this to new employers?
Honesty is best. I would tell the truth just like you did here, that they thought you were not the right fit for the role they put you in. I think honesty will work better than omitting the job or lying about it.I was let go from my last job, advice on how to explain this to new employers?
I worked at The Gap behind the scenes. I witnessed, listened to, and learned alot from the employees. One thing the Gap looks for are people who have a very outgoing personality because these people help make the company more money. I once heard a manager tell one of the employees, ';If you can't make $1000 (can't remember the exact amount) by the end of your shift, we will have to let you go';.





Its a good thing that I worked at the store but not for them directly. The store employed the company I worked for, that is why I was there.
my advice to you amy, would be to focus your interviewers attention on how motivated you are when you really believe in the product or service you will be selling with your new employer.


Explain the down side of your previous employers product and how inferior it is to the beneficial needs of your customers as compared to the product you will soon be selling for the betterment of all lucky enough to be considered one of your clients
A) Do not leave off resume, they could find out in their back ground check, and you are sure not to get hired in a new job


B) Be honest


C) A good explanation would be that you were told that you were not meeting their expectations, but you were not given a lot of detail on what those expectations were prior to being hired, and at dismissal time.
Be frank. If your personality isn't geared toward a sales position (most people's aren't) apply for jobs in other areas and tell the new interviewer the same thing you just wrote about yourself in this question.


Best of luck, you sound like someone who will find the right job/personality mix.
If it was a very short job , omit it .


If you worked there a long time , there would be too big a gap to explain if omitted .


If you list it and are asked , just say it was a sales job and that turned out not to be your calling .


( presuming you are Not applying for more sales jobs ) .





%26gt;
Don't lie about it, or it won't go over well. I would say explain it, and if the job you are applying for requires similar skills, explain how you plan to be different. Think about it, and take action. That will appeal to your potential new employer.
Whatever you do, don't speak negatively about your former employer!! It just looks awful on a resume/application when a former employee badmouths an old company or manager. My best advice is just speak honestly - your personality did not match the job.
you don't have to go into detail. you just say they didn't like your motivation and you tell them that you have the right motivation for this job you can sell and you are ready. period.
just explain that you and the manager thought the job wasn't right for you (and not that you weren't right for the job!)
tell them you want a fresh start and you're a better person and you're more humble and learned from the past and promise to do your ultimate best for their company. *sparkle sparkle* lol
Just explain to them honestly that you were in a mis-match job, basically a job which didn't suit your talents. They will understand and they will definitely appreciate your candor.
Let them know that your job description was a conflict of interest. You felt that it was best to move on to a different position that was more convenient for your interest.
just say it wasn't the right job for you. What you were doing didn't fit your personality even if you were good at it. And you last boss figured it just wasn't your thing!
Tell the truth, just like you did here. Your prospective employers will find your honesty refreshing.
It depends on what the future job you are applying for is. If it has similar requirements to the old job then good luck.
give them your managers # if he said that he'll prolly put in a good word for even if he was lying.
Dont mention this job on your rez
';I slept with my last bosses husband. My bad!!!! DONT HATE THOUGH';
Well unfortunately this is not the best situation to be in but your job is to MAKE the best out of the situation. You do not want to lie about it which is what you'd be doing by keeping it off your resume completely. Just when they ask something about it, say something like: ';Well the job was not the perfect fit for me and I discovered that while working there so I was a little miserable, to be honest. So I decided to apply for this job because I thought it fits my interest better.'; However you can tweak it a little to sound more proffesional..l0l I hope I helped...Good Luck!


~Melissa


P.S. I run this 'e-mail service' thing where I am always open to give advice or answer a question that I have knowledge on through e-mail. Anyone is open to ask a question on any topic and I will reply. The only thing is that when you e-mail, fill in the subject as 'E-mailed Advice', it is my way of knowing I need to open that e-mail even though it is from an unknown person. Your welcome to use it anytime or offer it to friends of yours, my e-mail is:


Beautyndbrains101@yahoo.com


I check my e-mail every day unless something comes up.
Dont worry about the gap.





Put it down anyway, and just say you werent quite right for that type of role. If they call your former employer, it sounds like she would say ok things about you. BE CONFIDENT. If you gained a lot of experience from this job and its imparitive to any future jobs to say you had the experience, then just put it down.


If its not a job you will ever do again, leave it out! They dont need to know.


Job gaps arent any issue, and I have had quite a few and nobody has questioned me about them.
Well true, that isn't the BEST news, but honesty goes a really long way and if you said something along the lines about how that wasn't the job for you and the you feel the job in which you are CURRENTLY applying for seems like something you would be more than happy with the interveiwee will most likely like that you were completely honest with a bit of booty-kissing...and hey, we ALL have a bad job experience here or there, most employers will not judge you because of ONE job...although it may feel like you're majorly on the spot, you're usually not as judged as you feel =) good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment