Monday, August 23, 2010

Looking to buy a new desktop and laptop with one printer, Any advice?

I have read alot of answers here and you all have given some good advice so I thought I would come to the experts. I am a Dell person. I do not want a Mac. I have been disappointed in Dell's customer service lately but TG I do not need them often. So if Dell is the best bang for my buck I will go with them.





I am moving to a area that has a private phone company. Internet is provided but I would probably go WIFI or Wireless once I learn what that means. I never had a laptop but I need one now for home and RV, plus a desktop at home.





Usage: Mainly internet, email, photoshops.


Rarely: word and excel but I do want option.





I do not understand Vista Operating systems. The differences?


I have MS so I don't want a mini laptop and I am in no way rich to afford the thousand dollar computers either. I want them to be compatible with each other and buy just one printer. Any advice?


ThanksLooking to buy a new desktop and laptop with one printer, Any advice?
Thank you for all the information. It sounds like you have 3 questions.





1) What is Wifi and/or what is Wireless? Wifi is a local wireless technology that commonly comes builtin to new laptops. Its range is 100' to 300' with some claims on 11N for up to 1000'. It is common to setup a home network with a combined wifi and direct plug in router to do this. Cable takes 2 boxes (usually), a cable modem and a combined direct connect and wifi router. Most home Wifi boxes have 4 direct connect ports (RJ47 network cables). Dsl (att.com for instance) uses 1 box (combined modem and router) with 4 direct connect ports.





';Wireless'; seems to refer to a wide-area wireless connection via a cellphone air card. You would need both an ';aircard'; (upto $200) and the connection (about $60/mo). If you go this route make sure you buy ';unlimited'; volume/bandwidth. Otherwise they will charge you for to many e-mails/websites downloaded. I have the aircard and connection from T-mobile. All major cellphone vendors offer the product. You need to make sure if you go this route that there is data coverage in the areas you want to use it. No you can't always get a connection.





2) How do I share 1 printer between 2 computers? As long as you have a home network you can ';share'; the printer and the computer it is not connected to will be able to print on it after you install the network printer on the non-printer computer. A wizard will walk you through it. Just start to install the printer and it will ask you the appropriate questions. You can also e-mail many of the technicians here (even me) if you get stuck.





3) Notebook review has a forum that after you fill out and post the form will offer advice from other users. Nearly any low cost (not a netbook) laptop will probably work. I prefer ones with pcmicia slots (or even an express card) because you can then use an ';aircard'; without getting a USB version. You can get a low end notebook without a pcmicia slot but I think it is a bad idea. Make sure the wireless vendor you go with has the same format aircard as the laptop you get (eg. pcmicia (most common aircard) or express).





If graphics (eg. photoshop) is very important try to afford a laptop with a ';discrete'; video card rather than an ';integrated'; video card.Looking to buy a new desktop and laptop with one printer, Any advice?
JUST DONT BUY FROM DELL!!!
Unless two people will be using the two computers at the same time I would suggest forgetting about a desktop computer and buying one laptop that fits all of your needs.





I have my home set up with wifi and an HP all in one printer, scanner, copier Model C5180. That printer works through the WIFI so I can print wirelessly from the room in which I am working. If you need a printer small enough to take along in the RV you might find a smaller model but one that is WIFI capable.





As far as computer brand I cannot help because I am Mac all the way. It really is perfect for everything you mentioned you want to accomplish.

No comments:

Post a Comment